Archiv des Autors: aud


Windy is a great resource providing global weather forecast. And beautiful maps on wind, precipitation, temperature, clouds, waves and much more.

Dragons in Nature

Nature has some great articles about dragons, that I came across lately. They are old, and probably well known. But I wanted to list them here anyway.

The first one by Hamilton, May and Waters is a warning that with climate change, the conditions for dragon breeding are rapidly reaching ideal conditions. And they are warning that the „Third Stir“ might take place soon.

The second article I came across is on the ecology of dragons by May. It is about the ecology and origin of dragons and why they might have gone extinct.



Hamilton, A., May, R. & Waters, E. Here be dragons. Nature 520, 42–43 (2015) doi:10.1038/520042a.

May, R. M. (1976). The ecology of dragons. Nature264(5581), 16.

Transplant vegetation

This summer has passed quickly with lot’s of field work setting up the Three-D project. We have selected plots, recorded vegetation and taken soil samples. The weather has been fantastic to do all the work this year (a bit unusual for Western Norway).

This week, we transplanted vegetation turfs from the mountain to lower elevation, which is part of the warmer climate treatment. From each site, we dug out 40 turfs (50 x 50 cm), put them in boxes and transported them 400m down the mountain, where they were put back into the ground. Each turf weighed between 10 – 30 kg and the 80 turfs must have added up to c. 2 tons. Luckily, we did not have to carry the turfs ourselves, we used a helicopter.

The organization of the transplanting has been a logistic nightmare and I am very glad it is done now. The helicopter cannot fly in fog or when there are strong winds. And I needed many helpers to dig out, be in several locations at the same time, coordinate the helicopter, put the turfs back into the soil.

Thanks again Josh, Vincent, Frida and Kevin for your hard work and high spirits! And thanks Kevin for filming, droning and taking nice shots!

Three-D site selection

In the last two weeks I have travelled around the world (yes, I had to write this line) to select sites for the Three-D project in China and in Norway. We have successfully selected beautiful, species rich, and semi-natural grasslands along elevational gradients.

In each country we selected 3 sites along a productivity gradient. The gradient in Norway starts at 500m and stretches up to 1300m. In China, the lowest site is located at 3500m and the highest site at 4300m. The highest sites are low productive.

Both systems are grazed by somewhat different animals. In Norway, there are mainly sheep and goats, while in China, the dominant grazers are horses and yak.

The next step will be to select the plots and blocks and set up fences.